Thursday, May 29, 2008

Observation #8

Site: Elk refuge
Date: May 30
Temperature: 43 degrees
Time: 7:15 am
Weather: Partly cloudy, almost sunny
Soil: Wet
This morning we drove past the Elk Refuge on my way to school. Near the pond there were a bunch of geese, which means more biodiversity. They weren't here earlier when the snow was melting. The geese had black heads, with long necks and grey bodies. The wet habitat supports the needs of the geese because they live around ponds, and river and lake shores. The refuge is a very grassy area, (which is getting even greener), and the geese use grass and plant material to build their nests. I didn't see any nests, but I think that typically they would be on the ground near the pond. There is a place away from the pond where people can visit and take pictures, but the geese are very protective of their nests and eggs so people can't get too close to the pond. Hopefully sometime I can get closer so I can observe interactions inbetween the geese.

1 comment:

Ms. Overly said...

Great research on the other organisms in the area, however, even more depth could be added by describing how your environment can support those specific species. Overall,great last two observations!